Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Adios, Bitches

I can't remember when I began reading the Mean Girls Guide to Second Life, but I distinctly recall the very first moment of spew they caused me, which happened over coffee as I read this particular episode of Oh Snap:

It is a classic in the Mean Girls tradition of poking a red hot spoon at those who let their asses hang out, so to speak. It's the kind of writing that made this blog what it was at its peak: the best that bitchiness has to offer. It's a painful truth telling with an enormous dose of snark. It's the kind of meanness you can let yourself indulge in because it's got a purpose - it's pointing out, from one point of view - what kind of stupidity will get the shit teased out of you.

Second Life is full of assholes. I should know. Without the Mean Girls, a lot of us would have felt fairly adrift in a sea of clueless social clods. While in the virtual world there's a lot of room for interpretation of what's cool, what's acceptable, what's forgivable and what's punishable by public humiliation, there are definite lines to be drawn. The cast of Mean Girls here did us all a public service by drawing them in each post. We could cross the lines or not as we saw fit.

I was honored to be recruited to the Mean Girls, and I have to say, sorry for not being a more productive contributor. I point to this Valentine's Day post as probably my favorite of my Mean Girls career.
But not all that long after, I found myself unable to keep up with any blogging or any kind of Second Life at all. It's just now, as the girls are closing up shop, I find myself back in pixel town but sadly without my trusty Second Life guide to etiquette.

Truth is, I am still not sure why they decided to call it quits. Now that they're killing the thing, the beefcakes are beefier than ever. But I suppose that sometimes you've got to kill your darlings before they become boring old hags. While I think MGG2SL was far from that point, it's still better to go while you're peaking.

So that said, good luck girls. Thanks for the entertainment and enlightenment! I'm sure that Second Life is going to be worse off without your guidance.

No comments: